Friday, March 5, 2010

My Country - Dorothea Mackellar (1885 - 1968)

Before arriving here I read through Bill Bryson's fantastic book "In A Sunburned Country," a travelogue of his wanderings through Australia. He named his book after a poem written by one Dorothea Mackellar, entitled "My Country," a few stanzas of which are quoted below. Check out the full poem. It's an ode to Australia, written by someone with an aching love for this place...

"...I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!
....
An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land-
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand-
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment